Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A woman can kill you

Gideon had 70 sons besides Abimelech, born of a concubine and of corrupt nature. He went to his maternal uncles and with the help of his mother, convinced them to have him as King rather than the 70 sons of Gideon. He killed all but one of them escaped and Abimelech was made King. Israel had gone back to their corrupt ways. Abimellech’s brother, Jotham who survived the slaughter, was informed of these things and in his disgust and anger told this parable;

Judges 9:8: ‘The trees went forth on a time to anoint a king over them; and they said unto the olive tree, Reign thou over us. v9: But the olive tree said unto them, Should I leave my fatness, wherewith by me they honour God and man, and go to be promoted over the trees? v10: And the trees said to the fig tree, Come thou, and reign over us. v11: But the fig tree said unto them, Should I forsake my sweetness, and my good fruit, and go to be promoted over the trees?’

‘v12: Then said the trees unto the vine, Come thou, and reign over us. v13: And the vine said unto them, Should I leave my wine, which cheereth God and man, and go to be promoted over the trees? v14: Then said all the trees unto the bramble, Come thou, and reign over us. v15: And the bramble said unto the trees, If in truth ye anoint me king over you, then come and put your trust in my shadow: and if not, let fire come out of the bramble, and devour the cedars of Lebanon.’

Jotham was disturbed and questioned if Israel had ‘done truly and sincerely, in that ye have made Abimelech king’ saying ‘For my father fought for you, and adventured his life far, and delivered you out of the hand of Midian.’

Abimelech ruled for three years and killed many people of Shechem. In one of the wars, he pursued his enemies, coming to a high tower, and a woman saw him, dropped a grinding stone that broke his skull and he fell. Judges 9v54: ‘Then he called hastily unto the young man his armour bearer, and said unto him, Draw thy sword, and slay me, that men say not of me, A woman slew him. And his young man thrust him through, and he died.’

After him ruled Tola for 20 years and then Jahir 22 years who had 30 sons. Any problems can kill you, including women. Pray.

1 comment:

  1. Backlinks help get better search engine rankings. That’s
    a fact. Well... I have a solution that could well be the
    missing part of your puzzle! SocialMonkee...

    A FREE Instant Backlink Builder!

    http://www.socialmonkee.com/

    Build 25 unique backlinks every day, FREE! No questions
    asked, no strings attached... and it only takes a few
    seconds if you use the Firefox Plugin!

    http://www.socialmonkee.com/

    ReplyDelete