Thursday, February 17, 2011

Japhtah, son of a harlot.

Israel had been worshipping idols again and deep in sin. Even at much praying, God told them to cry out to Baal and other idols for help from their enemies. He then felt pity for them and heard their cry. Now, they needed a leader to take them to war and found none.

Japhtah was a strong man of valour, the son of Gilead but born of a whore. Gilead’s wife’s sons chased him away since he was from a strange woman.

When the sons of Ammon came charging at Israel, they went to him and asked him to be captain. He said, ‘Did not ye hate me, and expel me out of my father's house?  and why are ye come unto me now when ye are in distress?’ Judges 11 v7. He demanded to be their King if he won and they were good.

Japhtah made a vow with God, to offer a burnt sacrifice of the first thing that would come of his house when he comes from war, if God him victory. It was so, that God was with him and he subdued the children of Ammon.

As he came home, his only daughter came out singing and dancing. Japhtah was greatly aggrieved and explained to her what had just happened. And she said that he should fulfil his promise but ‘Let this thing be done for me: let me alone two months, that I may go up and down upon the mountains, and bewail my virginity, I and my fellows.’ Japhtah agreed and in due time sacrificed her as a burnt offering. This guy had guts.

He judged 6 years, after which Ibzan took over. He had 30 sons and 30 daughters and was in for 7 years. Elon judged 10 years, after which Abdon was in for 8 years. He had 40 sons. Think about the vows you make, and once you make them, fulfill them immediately and without fail

No comments:

Post a Comment